LAST MINUTE DISCOUNT!If you are looking for a room at the last minute, we do offer special room rates for people booking within 24 hours of their stay. To find out the best rate please call us:
Georgian House Newsletter!
London Film Festival
The event of the year for all film lovers!
The Times London Film Festival
The Times British Film Institute (BFI) London Film Festival takes place annually for two weeks, presenting the best new films from the full spectrum of world cinema. This, the 52nd London Film Festival will see London buzzing with excitement as it boasts the strongest line-up ever. There will be over 180 features and many short, experimental and animated films from both established and emerging directors from all over the world.
The 52nd BFI London Film Festival
The 52nd London Film Festival will take place this year from 15th October to 30th October 2009 at seventeen different venues. Some venues such as The National Theatre and Odeon West End are showing many films, while others are showing only one or two. To see the full list of venues and the films showing at the London Film Festival, simply visit the main website at the bottom of this page.
Strands within the London Film Festival
As there are so many different films to be seen at the London Film Festival, it will be difficult to choose. However if you arm yourself with programme, you will find that the event is organised into different strands. Below is a list of all the different strands showing at the London Film Festival:
- The Opening Night of the London Film Festival - The London Film Festival will open with a political and romantic thriller “The Constant Gardener” directed by Fernando Meirelles and based on a book by John le Carre. The film stars Hollywood actor Ralph Fiennes and actress Rachel Weisz.
- Galas and Films on the Square - These two strands normally feature those films that have the highest profiles – those celebrated and well-known directors and exciting new ones.
- New British Cinema - This strand presents those films made within Britain.
- French Revolutions - Due to the popularity of the French industry, it has a strand all to itself within the London Film Festival.
- Cinema Europa - A chance to see great films from Europe.
- World Cinema - This strand showcases films from 50 different countries.
- Experimenta - This is a very popular strand at the London Film Festival that is devoted to avant-garde film-making.
- Treasures from the Archive - This strand presents classic films that have been newly restored. This year includes the much-loved Carousel, four of Chaplin’s Keystone Comedies and the Australian silent movie, The Sentimental Bloke.
- Short Cuts and Animation - As there were over 1 500 short films submitted to this strand, the best are divided into six different themes. Also showing are three programmes of animated shorts.
- Talks and Events - The 49th London Film Festival will present a quartet of Times Screen Talks, featuring Terry Gilliam, Pierce Brosnan, Shane Black and Gael Garcia Bernal all talking about their careers. There will also be other discussions taking place at this festival.
- The Closing Night of the London Festival - The Festival’s closing film will be the George Clooney’s second as a director. Good Night, and Good Luck is another political thriller, charting the confrontation between Edward R Murrow, a famed newsman and witch-hunting senator Joe McCarthey.
With such a huge and diverse selection of films, the 52nd London Film Festival will have enough to interest everyone. As many of the films do not have distributors, the London Film Festival will present the first and last time that these films will appear on British screens.
For more information visit www.lff.org.uk
Georgian House Hotel is ideally situated in a very central location, so visiting sights all over London is quick and easy. Why not book Georgian House Hotel when you plan your visit to London Film Festival? You can book online or email to make a reservation on email@example.com, or telephone on 0044(0)207 834 1438